Wednesday, January 18, 2017

How to Deal with Failure in College: My Experience and Advice


study college planner 2017

Sadly, my Christmas vacations are almost over and I will be returning to a classroom soon. Even though I wish I could stay at my house all day just taking pictures, writing blog post and making cute Pinterest boards I kind of feel motivated to "kick ass" this semester and pass all my classes. One of the reasons for this is because I want to prove myself that even though I failed a class last semester that doesn't mean that I can't do better.

If a ghost from my future had told me 2 years ago that I would fail a class in college, I would have probably said: "ghost, you have the wrong girl" or something along those lines. I have always been a 4.0 student and I've never found a class to be difficult for me, until this last semester. On my second year of college, I encountered a class that I didn't understand and every time I took a test I failed. Even though I went to study groups, payed a tutor and viewed every YouTube video that I could find my highest grade in the semester was a D. I knew I wouldn't pass the class, but I wasn't prepare for it. It took me almost a month to accept it. Now that I look back, I went through five stages before accepting it.  

Stage 1.  Frustration 

I began this stage once I got out of my final exam. Even though I didn't know my final grade, I knew that I failed. I spent around two days at my house crying almost every hour.  

Stage 2.  Denial 

I started thinking "maybe I didn't fail, maybe the professor will gift us some points and I will pass", even thought I knew that was not going to happen. 

Stage 3.  Doubting yourself

Once it was official that I failed the class I started to doubt my abilities. I thought maybe I'm not smart and maybe I should change major. For me this was the worst stage because my self-esteem was basically on the floor. 

Stage 4.  Reflection 

I sat down and reflect on what am I going to do, something I should have done from the beginning  I decided that I would try again because that's what I want and I won't let anything get in the way of what I want. 

Stage 5. Realization 

I realized that failing a class it's not a big deal, so why make it a great deal? 

My advice 

  • Surround yourself with real friends. Stay away from the people that will make you feel bad about failing a class instead go distract yourself with some real friends, plan a road trip or go to your favorite restaurant. 
  • Don't give a f*ck of what people think. This is something that I struggle with, I care too much of what people think and it shouldn't be that way. Instead focus on you, think of what you want to do. 
  • Remember that failing a class does not mean that you are not smart or good enough. 
  • Go to academic counseling and make a plan. 
  • Keep your mind busy with positive thoughts. 
  • Try it again. Don't give up. Next year sign up for the same class. 
I hope this post was helpful and if you have any other advice leave a comment. 
Don't forget to share this post on Pinterest. 



-M


7 comments:

  1. The post is wonterful! I am loving your blog:)

    irinathayer.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just marked this post on my favorites to read it when I'm feeling down. I agree with the four points, and it's crazy how similar it's to me. Great post!!

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asking good questions and not being afraid to ask for help are two very valuable things I've learned and am trying to get better at :) -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  4. so brave of you for sharing your experiences! this will definitely help someone x

    http://lifeofacameo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab post, such good advice! Nobody likes failure but's definitely something that we learn from x

    Sick Chick Chic

    ReplyDelete
  6. I needed this, thanks for the lovely advice!

    yuki | solivagantic

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.